Are you currently studying in Spain, or will you be doing so in the near future? Are you planning to conduct your own business project in the Spanish territory? Then this article is for you. Some changes have been implemented in the Spanish immigration law, and those can benefit you. Are you ready to learn about how the residence permit for students who look for a job in Spain is being affected?
A CHANGE IN THE SPANISH IMMIGRATION LAW REGARDING STUDENT VISAS
Usually, students were only allowed to stay in Spain until the time of their studies were finished or till the date of the student residence permits expired. Possessing a student visa allowed you to legally be in the country for just that period of time.
Now a new law has been approved, allowing them to stay in Spain for a maximum of 12 months to look for a job or create their own business project.
If you are a foreign student, you can not miss this article, as it’s a great opportunity for those who look to acquire more experience in the professional environment in a foreign country.
LOOKING FOR A JOB IN SPAIN AS A FOREIGN STUDENT
Many students, once they have finished their studies, want to experience their first contact with the working environment. They immediately seek for job offers in Spain, or they are brave enough to grow their own project in the Spanish market, so they start a company.
But they encounter a problem. Their student residence permit does not allow them to stay enough to do that.
If you find yourself with no time to accomplish this new goal in your professional career, keep reading; good news are coming.
THE SITUATION OF FOREIGN STUDENTS IN SPAIN BEFORE THE CHANGE IN THE REGULATION
Foreigner students who came to Spain to do or to complete their studies were only allowed to stay until the date of their NIE or foreigner identification number expired.
That expiration date was assigned by the university explaining the time that the student needed to finish the whole course that he/ she is studying.
That forced many students to look for a job or internship at the same time that they were studying, and as soon as they were finished they had to leave the country.
HOW CAN THE NEW IMMIGRATION LAW BENEFIT YOU AS A STUDENT
But now a new law has been approved that benefits all students who want to look for a job in Spain.
Since September of 2018, you as a foreigner with a student visa are allowed to stay in the country after finishing your studies. Why? Because you can now apply for your student residence permit to look for a job.
You can start this procedure 60 days before or 90 days after you finished your studies in Spain, and it will only allow you to stay for the maximum of 12 months in order to find a job or to start your own business project.
But wait: hold what you are probably thinking right now.
If you can apply for this being a student who has just finished their studies, what are the requirements that you need in order to get this student-worker residence permit?
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY FOR THE RESIDENCE PERMIT FOR STUDENTS SEEKING FOR A JOB IN SPAIN
The requirements that you need to fulfill are the following:
- The first requirement that you need to have it’s to have finished your studies. Those need to be a minimum level of 6 that is equivalent to a bachelor degree, and it can also be a Masters degree (that is level 7) or a Ph.D. that (level 8).
- Contracting health insurance as a foreigner
- You need to prove that you have enough economic resources to stay in the country during the time of your job research.
- Pay the fee of the documentation
As we’ve mentioned, the time frame is really important. Foreigner students can apply for this student permit 60 days before finishing their studies or 90 days after their studies have concluded, or till the student permit card has expired. You can apply to this Job search permit online.
Once you have applied for it, you have a period of 20 waiting days, where the institution can approve or deny your request.
If you want to make sure your application gets accepted and you can finally extend your stay as a student in Spain, do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us help you: we have dealt with more than 1000 international clients with same needs.
SOME OTHER DETAILS YOU SHOULD KEEP YOUR EYES ON
- The job should be something related to your previous studies
- You can apply for this procedure through online or electronic media.
- All of the procedure should be made in the same city that you are residing, so the authorities can verify your official certificate.
- This whole procedure has a period of 20 days to have an approved or denied response. After this period of time, if there is no response, the silence will be considered as approved.
- The relatives that have been accompanying the student willing to extend their say in order to find a job, will have permanency linked (the whole time) to the holder of the main authorization (the foreign student in Spain).
- In the case of finding a job during the period in which the student residence permit is valid, you should require the main authorization that is corresponding to the organic laws.
Now you know how the new immigration regulation regarding student visas can benefit you. Are you willing to extend your student residence permit stay in order to find a job opportunity? Let us be your immigration lawyers in Barcelona.